All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: November 15th buck!
PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 8:25 pm 

Hey everyone, for the past two weeks my Dad and I have been hunting very hard, sitting all day when we did hunt, putting in tons of time trying to kill one of the big bucks on our farm. On November 15th I was hunting down in Brooklyn, WI on Phil Klahn’s family’s land. I had got on stand around 2:00 pm because I was slightly delayed at work. I was hunting on the edge of the swamp, food plot, and woods. Around 2:30 I had a 1 year old buck chase a doe under my stand, too small to shoot. About 30 minutes later I heard some noise behind me, as I slowly turned around I saw a mature buck coming out of the swamp. At this point he was about 40 yards away directly behind me. He entered the woods to the East of my location and began to walk in a circle, assuming he was trying to pick up the doe in heat that came through 30 minutes earlier. After his 3rd circle he began to walk the path that the doe walked by earlier leading him to walk out in front of me. As he walked behind the tree 8 yards away, I pulled back my bow…. He took 4 more steps, I grunted with my mouth, he stopped and WACK! Had a great shot putting my arrow right in the middle of his heart. I stood up watching him run away and never saw him leave the woods meaning he did not run over 60 or 70 yards. After calming myself down I called a few of my friends and family and told them I hit a nice buck. After contacting Phil, he said I’m turning around coming over, (he was in Johnson Creek heading to his home in Milwaukee). I began to get down of my stand to find my arrow full of blood. I then went to my car and attempted to call my dad but he was still out in the woods so he did not pick up. After four hours or so went by, Phil, Tanner (Phils little cousin), and my Dad headed out to track the buck. Once we found my arrow again we literally could walk seeing the blood trail ahead of us, I knew we had a deer down that was not too far away. About five minutes later Phil turned around, gave a me a huge high five and said “There he is buddy” dead right on the edge of the field. Eight point buck with 10 inch G2, and 7 inch G3’s. Waiting to score him yet, guessing he will score in the 130’s if not 140. Thought I would share my story with everyone!

What do you think he will score??

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:03 pm

Post subject: November 15th buck!
PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 9:09 am 

Wow great deer? My initial thought is 140" or a bit more. What is the spread?

But I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night :!: :D

Tue Aug 23, 2005 10:56 am

Post subject: Re: November 15th buck!
PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 10:53 am 

Hey Olsen, congratulations, that's a mighty fine buck you killvested! Well done! :D

May I make a suggestion? Edit out the land/farm owners name (and put in "a friend's place"), or at least take out his last name. You've provided his name & location in your story, and there are plenty of people out there who'd love to hunt that property now! Nothing worse than to learn someone (outfitter's included) contacted the land owner and offered him a big chunk of money for lease rights, knocking you off the land for future seasons. Plus, the last thing the land owner wants is a horde of guys (average hunters) calling him asking for permission to hunt his land.

Just a suggestion, learned the hard way, over 25+ years of serious bowhunting. :wink:

Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:56 am

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:01 am 

Location: Formally from the upper peninsula of Michigan. Now settled in Minnesota.
Wow...great buck and story. Congrats!!

Mon Feb 13, 2006 10:16 pm

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:33 pm 

Very nice :sg Congrats

Tue Oct 10, 2006 11:49 am

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:51 am 

Great buck!

TMA Certified Treestand safety instructor trainer

Sun Aug 29, 2010 8:39 pm