All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Meat in the Freezer
PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 11:10 am 

Well i have been hunting the last 3 days pretty hard and i have seen a lot of deer and passed on many young bucks. Usually by now i have killed a doe in the early season and then i focus all of my attention to getting a mature buck. Well i haven't had as much time in the field as i would like this year so early season i ended up empty handed. Well fast forward to this morning..... I just recently put up a new hang on stand that sits on a natural funnel that connects two flats on a ridge. This good thing about this stand is that i have easy access to the top of the ridge so when i am approaching my stand i can just walk down the ridge line and slip off down to my stand undetected.

About 10 minutes after first light i had a small buck walk into shooting range and quickly exit. For the next two hours i watched squirrels and chipmunks run around in their separate playgrounds playing tag and always tricking my eyes with their many movements. From my stand i can see down on to the flat that is below me and a single doe comes walking out in no hurry so i pull up my nocs and start looking at her and as soon as i did i heard some steps behind me that no squirrel can make. I slowly turned my head and there stood a 5 pointer at 20 yards. My predator camo fooled him and he walked by me down to say hello to the doe. Well lately i have been seeing a lot of young bucks chasing and what surprised me was that he walked straight past her as if he had no interest. What i didn't know was that he was on a B line to 3 does that i wasn't aware of. Well for about 30 minutes this 5 point chased these does in circles and gave me some great entertainment while in the stand. Eventually they all drifted off into the trees.

Around 10 o clock i caught movement down on the same flat and it turned out to be 4 does. As i watched them enter my view i was hoping to see a mature buck step out behind them in pursuit but i soon realized this wasnt the case. It took about 15 minutes for them to make it to my stand. The 4 deer were traveling in a staggered line as if in a tactical road march and when the lead doe got 20 yards, she tried really hard to smell me and see.... well after 5-8 minutes of not moving and staring at me my predator spring green stood the test and she couldnt make me out. After i fooled her the 3 other does caught up with her and they stood at 25 yards walking away so i picked the one i wanted and she offered me a quartering away shot and i couldnt pass up on it. I let the arrow fly and it flied true and it entered a little in front of the rear right leg and made it through the vitals to the opposite side (investigated when i field dressed it). She took off as if her butt was on fire and made it 15 yards and reared back on its hind legs and then did it again and then did a front flip to its final resting place about 40 yards from my stand.

Normally i dont take a doe out during the rut but my season has been slow and i needed some venison to snack on. I was really excited about my shot placement and my Muzzy 3 Blades did great work. I plan on sitting that same stand Sunday night and hope to see a grandiddy buck.

Mon Dec 01, 2008 5:47 pm

Post subject: Re: Meat in the Freezer
PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 2:15 pm 

Location: Formally from the upper peninsula of Michigan. Now settled in Minnesota.
Great story and picture. That sure is a great looking bow you have there! I have one just like it....they are the sweetest shooting bow I've ever shot!

Anyway, thanks for sharing.

Mon Feb 13, 2006 10:16 pm

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:21 am 

Nicely done. Thanks for sharing.

Life is a gift - no one made themselves

Tue Sep 21, 2010 7:55 pm

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:29 am 

I'll say it again (given your post in the contest forum).... well done! :D

Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:56 am

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 3:51 pm 

Yes well taken... "a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush" :?
Now you`ve got some venison you can concentrate on a trophy.

Samick Volcano 50# samick recurve take down#55
Port Orford Cedar and Tusker broadheads
2016 easton , steel force sabertooths 125,and German Kinetics
BEAR CHARGE #64. carbon express HUNTER CX EDGE 250

Fri Jun 22, 2007 11:54 am