All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Second Thoughts...
PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 1:38 pm 

Well, after a two week absence and missing the peak rut, I finally made it out yesterday afternoon. I've had a slow season this year, with only 5 sits so far. Normally, I would have a couple dozen sits this far into the season, but.... being understaffed at work I've been having to fill in... at the expense of my season. Oh well... thats' life.

Anywho, had a great time in perfect weather ~ cool northerly breeze after the hard front the night before. In all, I had 4 bucks grace my hunt over a 3 hour period, all w/in easy chip shots of 7 - 15 yds. Two were yearling 6 pt's ~ last years twin spikes, plus a yearling 8pt, plus a really beautiful 9pt ~ a mainframe 4x4 with a crab claw on the tip of the right beam. Although he's not that wide, 15" - 16", he's got great mass thruout and very tall tines, especially the G2's at 10+" each, and G3's at 8+" each. His brows are pretty good at 3+" too. He's got an interesting symmetry with his main beams ~ the ends curl inward towards each other with a sharp hook ~ with maybe 3 to 4" between the tips. Pretty cool looking dude.

The only reason I watched him and not dropped the string is because he looks and acts so young. He's a small bodied deer, maybe 125# dripping wet. The strange thing is, he has such a great rack on him already, with me guessing he's 2.5yo, 3.5yo tops (but his body size doesn't come close to matching that age). Maybe he's just genetically a small bodied deer, destined to be a lightweight like Sugar Ray. :lol:

I was sitting a ladder stand on the edge of a meadow with a primary scrape 20yds to my left. The yearling 6's & 8 sparred out there with each other off and on for a solid hour. This 9pt even joined in a couple of times... just playing....pushing and shoving like friends who arm wrestle. No aggression, no anger, no hard hitting... just playing. But boy, he sure has a great rack.... right on the borderline of my shoot/no shoot policy.

Time will tell if I made a sound decision or not. :wink:

This afternoon's hunt.... Hog Hollow. I've got a date with 007. 8)

Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:56 am

Post subject: Re: Second Thoughts...
PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 6:23 pm 

Sounds like it was a good hunt anyway. No luck on seeing the other two large bucks you've seen last year?

I can relate to the under staffed part, and the lack of hunting opps because of it. :( But, I've scheduled Dec. 29-30 for vacation and I will be after that 10 pointer if he makes it through tomorrows gun closer. When does your season end?

Sticks N Limbs Pro Staff

We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing!

In memory of Woody "The number to call is BR549"

Wed Mar 09, 2005 7:38 am

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 11:40 am 

Konk wrote:
Sounds like it was a good hunt anyway. No luck on seeing the other two large bucks you've seen last year?

When does your season end?

Yes, I've seen both on earlier hunts- see early November reports in BHstories ~ "SuperWide" at FireCreek, and 007 @ Hog Hollow. And I'm hunting them both. :wink:

Buck season ends in early January, does & spikes thru mid January. I've only seen one doe twice, once on a hunt, and then this past tuesday bedded down with SuperWide. They were "dating". :g

I went out to Hog Hollow yesterday afternoon, and boy, did I get a major surprise! :D See hunt report.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 12:11 pm 

Well you may be down on quantity of hunts.... but you make up on quality with four bucks visiting in an afternoon.
And..such control waiting for Mr big.

A guide once told me , "you dont have to shoot the first deer you see but you certainly better shoot the last" :wink:

Samick Volcano 50# samick recurve take down#55
Port Orford Cedar and Tusker broadheads
2016 easton , steel force sabertooths 125,and German Kinetics
BEAR CHARGE #64. carbon express HUNTER CX EDGE 250

Fri Jun 22, 2007 11:54 am

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:42 am 

badbob wrote:
Well you may be down on quantity of hunts.... but you make up on quality with four bucks visiting in an afternoon.
And..such control waiting for Mr big.

A guide once told me , "you dont have to shoot the first deer you see but you certainly better shoot the last" :wink:

Learning to "take control" on what bucks I now shoot at was quite the adventure in the beginning. Each season I'd see & pass on some really nice bucks, and then ask myself should I have done that. :lol: However, it's now fun because I get all the excitement of getting onto them, but none of the work after the shot. :wink: I've also learned/discovered some awesome behaviors by just watching them interact with the other deer. Amazing stuff.

Your quide was a wise man. It's been 3 seasons now that I haven't shot that "last buck". :P I've got 5 weeks left to figure out which one that is this season! Fingers crossed. :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:55 pm 

Zano,
I always enjoy your stories. Do you hunt public land or private? I don't think I could pass on that buck...and superWide? I hadn't heard of him yet, gotta go look that one up, you got pics of him?

Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:43 pm

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:52 am 

jeffybear wrote:
Zano,
I always enjoy your stories. Do you hunt public land or private? I don't think I could pass on that buck...and superWide? I hadn't heard of him yet, gotta go look that one up, you got pics of him?

Thanks friend. Private. Same property since 1988, but diminishing as parcels sell off. Yes, I've talked about him since last season (but all those posts/stories were lost in the August hijacking). But I did post up about him a three weeks back when I ran into him on a hunt, and then again last week when I jumped him bedded down with a hot doe. He's a resident, and if a car doesn't get him or he doesn't leave, I'll see him again and hopefully get a shot. :wink: