All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: the rut is on
PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 2:39 pm 

Tuesday afternoon I was out in the field staking out a wetland restoration project, it was a beautiful day sunny a slight breeze and just a hint of coolness in the air. As I left that site and just across the road there was a monster buck, wide rack, long tines and alot of mass, chasing two does. I watched them run across a field and disappear into a wooded area then wiped off the drool and headed back to my office. I decided to take off early and get out to the woods.
the wind was out of the south east so I decided to go to the middle of three stand locations, slightly back in the woods from a food plot and covering a pinch point in the wooded area. I settled in for the first half hour then started calling, first with some doe bleats then half hour later buck grunts and some rattling. In about 15 minutes I heard the distinct sound of deer walking my way and the heart rate started picking up. About 25 yards out a doe popped out into the food plot and headed my way and right behing her was a buck. the doe stopped right in front of me and the buck stayed back about 25 yard out and was sniffing the ground, where I sprayed acorn scent, and just stood there broad side not moving. with the doe standing 10 yards infront of me I carefully drew back my bow and took aim at the buck. the next thing I heard was THWACK the sound of broadhead meeting bone and the buck dropped in his tracks, I spined him and he wasn't going anywhere. I sat back down to regain my composure and to let the buck expire and after about 10 minutes I walked over to collect the nice 2 1/2 year old 8 pointer. it was a beautiful day.
I spent the next two days turning him into steak, hamburger, sausage and jerky. As a side note I was amazed to find I got a pass through on a spine shot :shock: now thats knock down power.

Tue May 19, 2009 10:21 pm

Post subject: Re: the rut is on
PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:09 pm 

Congratulations Dale, well done! :sg

I too can't wait to get out (this weekend), my bucks are finally starting to get interested and venturing about! :D

Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:56 am

Post subject: Re: the rut is on
PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:04 am 

Sorry Dale, I did not see this one. Congrats on the killvest, but you knowwww.......we like pictures. :lol:

Sticks N Limbs Pro Staff

We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing!

In memory of Woody "The number to call is BR549"

Wed Mar 09, 2005 7:38 am