All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Great setup...Poor shot
PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 1:52 pm 

Yesterday. My day started at 4 am with me anxious to get in my newly relocated climber and score one for the team. Yes, I'd like to arrow Mr. BIGG but, a mature doe is on the hit list if I don't get that opportunity for the bigg boy. It was 6:30am, 43 degrees, crisp and no wind to speak of as I climbed 25 feet up the tall oak tree. It was perfect and the view was spectacular.

I'm postioned about 30 yards east of a natural draw and 18 yards from the main trail that I observed the deer in that area using, 100 yds south of the bedding area. I've got 2 shooting lanes I cut towards the west and 1 lane to the east. Behind me is a huge oak tree with plenty of green leaves still hanging on, giving me great cover. It's the most perfect location I've ever found and I feel confident and calm.

Fast forward to 8:30am, I began a series of rattles and soft grunts that produced a spike who came in from me behind and proceeded to linger in my west side shooting lane. I decided to practice my draw to see if I would spook him. He was never aware I was there and, eventually headed towards the bedding area and disappeared. Good. I'm ready for the real thing now. For the next 45 minutes I was entertained by the squirrels and their games of "tag, you're it." I really do enjoy watching those critters.

At nine-fifteen I began an aggressive series of rattling and grunts that produced 2 more curious spikes who trotted down to the creek bottom. I ranged them as they walked thru the cutover to another property, 53 yds. I see more deer around 10am than at any other time I've been down there so, I'm full of anticipation now.

I started to feel excited inside so, Instead of calling I decided I would just sit and let the natural sounds of the woods calm me. At 9:50am as though she read the script, a nice mature doe materializes out of the east. My relaxation techniques worked well, so well that I was totally unprepared to even get into position to take a shot. I decided I want to take her and, hunt Mr. BIGG next week. She moved along slowly. I waited til she got past my stand before I stood up and grabbed my bow off the hanger. Range: 23 yds; Angle: -9 degrees; Zero shooting lanes. I quickly grabbed my grunt call and let out some soft grunts. She wasn't interested in meeting any new boys, I guess. Curious to see if this would work, I grabbed my Primos 'The Can" and hit it 5 times fast. Amazingly, this doe did an about face, started walking back toward me and began to scan the area for the fawn that was distressed. She was about to give up her search so, I hit it 1 more time and she broke out into an all-out sprint toward my stand. She stopped 15 yards east and to the rear of me and searched frantically with her eyes for the lost fawn. I new it was now or never.

The doe's vitals were protected by a small poplar tree. I needed her to take two more steps and I would have the green light for a 14 yard shot. She took the steps and, I came to full draw. I put the pin on the fifth rib I could make out and "THWACK!!!" The shot went hit high, I actually thought I spined her. No pass-thru but 10 inches of the broadhead side of my arrow went through so, she's running with my arrow still in. MAN!!! I didn't feel good about that shot. She spun and ran 50 yards before she stopped and, I heard my arrow snap. She then proceeded to trot toward the bedding area and, she did'nt look like an animal that was really hurt. "Oh, Boy ," I say to myself. It looks as though I hit her in that area below the spine and above the vitals.

Naturally I back out of there for a few hours and enlisted some good tracking help from my freinds. We tracked for 3 hours from what amounted to about a quarter pint of blood. We never recovered the deer but, I did get the broadhead side of my arrow back(pics to come). I think the deer will make it through the winter and go on to live a full life. This is, unfortunately one of those things that happens in hunting.

I can't wait to get back after Mr. BIGG.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

CX Terminator Hunter 4560's
100 gr. Thunderheads, Schwackers
It's gotta be the bow

Last edited by alphakilla on Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Dec 28, 2006 12:44 am

Post subject: Re: Great setup...Poor shot
PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 8:45 am 

Great story, even you dident get the dear :(

Thats hunting, and I hope she make it and get back soon :)

Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:28 am

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:49 am 

What an exciting story AlphaK, well done!

Hey, keep your eyes open in that area for crows and buzzards over the next 3 days, just in case. :wink:

Been there and done that too. :oops:

Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:56 am

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:49 am 

Thanks for the very interesting story. I have never had "The Can" work for me so I am glad to hear it worked for someone. Sorry to hear that doe made off to live another day. Maybe one day you will score her and that will make it even more rewarding.

Life is a gift - no one made themselves

Tue Sep 21, 2010 7:55 pm