All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Magnified lens for bow sight?
PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 11:13 am 

I would appreciate any information in regards to a magnified lens or any other device that will aid my wife during bowhunting. Unfortunately my wife has not been blessed with great eyesight, but she loves to hunt deer with a compound bow. She tells me she has difficulty picking a spot to aim at (such as a tuft of hair) and I believe using a peep is just exacerbating the problem. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Sun Jul 03, 2011 11:06 am

Post subject: Re: Magnified lens for bow sight?
PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:44 pm 

Location: Formally from the upper peninsula of Michigan. Now settled in Minnesota.
Scrape....welcome to the best bow camp on the internet! First, I'll answer your question. I have the same situation as your wife. My eyesight isn't the greatest and as I age, it gets worse.

I tried the "Back Sight".....and didn't care for it. I then tried a red dot......and that didn't impress me at all. I finally got bi-focals and by extending my pins out with an extension bracket and by using an enlarged peepsight to get squared up.....I'm now shooting better than I ever have.

One thing to consider about a magnifier.....if it starts to rain, mist, snow or even changes tempretature.....it will fog up or have water on it. That is why I never tried one for hunting. They are great for target shooting, but I wouldn't recommend one for hunting unless you are sure there won't be rain, snow or cooler temps.

Now.....look around our campfire here......and I think you'll find this is a very family friendly place. Make sure you find the thread called "Tell us about you" and introduce yourself. You'll find you'll probably get a very warm welcome. Good luck in your search for a good sight for your wife.

Mon Feb 13, 2006 10:16 pm

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 6:06 am 

Thanks for your insight. It's nice to hear from someone who has dealt with the same situation she is, because I cannot relate to the problem as i have been blessed with exceptional vision. How far out does the extension go and can you recommend a brand? Thanks again.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 8:18 am 

Scrape, I know exactly what your wife is dealing with. When I bought my new bow in 2008 I put on an HHA Optimizer sight and put a 2X magnifier lens on it. That thing really makes a difference. The magnifier comes in 2, 4, 6 power. You want to be careful not to put a lens on that is too powerful. Think of looking through a rifle scope zoomed in to 9X and hold it free hand, every movement is magnified, even your breathing makes it hard to hold on target. Now put a 6X magnification on a bow. My advise would be to start out with the 2X and go from there. Good luck

http://www.hhasports.com/sights/lenskits.htm

Sticks N Limbs Pro Staff

We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing!

In memory of Woody "The number to call is BR549"

Wed Mar 09, 2005 7:38 am

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:33 am 

Thank you Konk. I'm willing to try anything for her. I'm lucky to have a wife who enjoys bowhunting so much, she understands my obsession!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:28 pm 

If you do decide to get an HHA sight, see if the dealer has a lens she can try before you buy. One thing I did notice when I put the magnifier lens on, I had a hard time adjusting to shooting with both eyes open. Just an FYI, she may not have an issue.

Sticks N Limbs Pro Staff

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:00 pm 

Location: Formally from the upper peninsula of Michigan. Now settled in Minnesota.
Scrape, my extension is home made.

Konk hunts much the same area as I do....north woods with snow and such.

He's got more patience than I and to be honest......I didn't go the route he did. He may have stumbled on a set up which will work well for what you describe. You may have to try a few things to find the one she likes the best.

Mon Feb 13, 2006 10:16 pm

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:28 am 

Konk,
Will the HHA lens fit other bow sights or does it have to be an HHA sight?

By the way we hunt in the coastal swamps of South Carolina, so any shots beyond 20 yards are highly unusual. It is truly a jungle.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:25 pm 

scrape wrote:
Konk,
Will the HHA lens fit other bow sights or does it have to be an HHA sight?
By the way we hunt in the coastal swamps of South Carolina, so any shots beyond 20 yards are highly unusual. It is truly a jungle.

It may fit. I'll measure the diameter of the ring and let you know what it is. The locking ring slips over the top of the sight ring and is fastened with 2 small allen screws.

Sticks N Limbs Pro Staff

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 2:07 pm 

I don't like the magnifier while hunting (to each their own). Anything to help the archer I'm there!! One of the things that has helped tons of shooters is the peep and verifier from Specialty Archery. It works much like reading glasses. It doesn't help down range but helps in seeing the pins more clearly. If you do put a glass on the site more than likely you will need a clarifier to clear up the image.
Pat

Thu Dec 09, 2010 8:37 am

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 9:55 pm 

Non Typical wrote:
I don't like the magnifier while hunting (to each their own). Anything to help the archer I'm there!! One of the things that has helped tons of shooters is the peep and verifier from Specialty Archery. It works much like reading glasses. It doesn't help down range but helps in seeing the pins more clearly. If you do put a glass on the site more than likely you will need a clarifier to clear up the image.Pat

Acutally Pat, I didn't have to put on a clarifier to use the magnifier on my HHA sight. The magnifier is on the down range side of the pins so it magnifies the target and not the pins. That was one of the questions I emailed to HHA before I bought the magnifier lens "Do I need a clarifier to use a magnifier lens?" The response I got from HHA was "no"

Sticks N Limbs Pro Staff

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:27 am 

hey konk do you have to shoot with both eyes open with magnifier installed or does it not make a difference ? I have a HHA 5500 series and have been looking at the lens system , but I have always shot with 1 eye closed .

Treesaddle

Mon Nov 07, 2005 10:27 am

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:57 am 

Spank I shoot with 1 eye closed now. I used to shoot with both eyes open, but when I put the magnifier on I saw double. :wko So I have gone back to shooting with 1 eye open.

Sticks N Limbs Pro Staff